Friday, 27 May 2016

We have a roof at last!

It has taken some time but at last I've got around to getting the roof tiles done! That's the trouble with 'flitting' from one property to another, things get left on hold in one while you're busy with something else in another....it's also a nice aspect of the hobby being able to have more than one thing on the go at once as some days you just don't feel like doing certain things. Anyway it now means I can close up the house and I won't be able to see the half done bits inside!
Here's the finished roof.....apart from the ridge tiles and the chimmney that is. It will look much better with the chimmney on!


I used mdf tile strips which I bought from the Miniaturescene.com I've used them before and they're relatively easy to use, not too expensive and make a lovely modern style roof.


I cut them using a small saw and used a sanding block to get them to fit well, A paper template is handy to get the angles right around the dormers and chimmneys etc.


I learned when using these before that painting the edges is a good idea as it's difficult to do this once they're stuck on without messing up the edges of your roof..


This is my half way progress..


Now for the lead flashing.  I bought this self adhesive roll from Romney Miniatures which I've not used before.  



It wasn't as easy to apply as I thought it would be and I'm not entirely happy with my efforts as it doesn't look all that neat but for my first attempt I will leave it as it is for now....


So there we are that's my last two days work....
  





3 comments:

  1. I've used your update to catch up on all I've missed here and it looks marvellous. I love your plans for the use of space. It makes it all look much more interesting and of course gives you lots more opportunities for decorating and shopping!

    The little extension at the back is an inspirational idea and really adds lots to the property. It's all looking very real - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the roof, the house looks brilliant Kath. Lovely to catch up with what you have been doing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the roof, the house looks brilliant Kath. Lovely to catch up with what you have been doing

    ReplyDelete